Thursday 22 December 2011

Recent Cinema Viewings

From recent rentals to recent cinema viewings, this entry will go from one extreme to the other. You'll see what I mean in a second.

Burning Man

Showing in only one cinema (from what I can see anyway) in the whole of Queensland means that Burning Man will probably be seen by about 12 people, which is a real shame as I think it's currently one of the best films of the year.

Staring Matthew Goode, who has achieved some fame for appearing in the likes of Watchmen and A Single Man, this Australian film begins with a series of unrelated sequences which, for about half an hour, leaves you feeling completely lost. Once everything comes together though it's clear that the the impact intended was for the viewers sense of confusion and disorientation to mimic the same frame of mind the central character was going through after suffering personal tragedy.

Once the nature of his situation is revealed, which I wont get into as I think the movie will work best if you don't know, it then begins on his emotionally draining yet very moving story, moving back and forward in the time line to before, during and after the incident. The performances are all brilliant, and the heartbreaking story has some good dark humour mixed in as well to lift the otherwise sombre mood. Beautifully shot with incredible attention to detail, this is an amazing achievement. I'm leaving my prejudice against Australian movies behind for good.

***** out of *****

Immortals

A Greek mythology themed action movie filmed in a style inspired by 300? Yeah, I didn't have much interest in seeing this, however I got invited by my mate Dayle so I thought I'd go and check it out, as I stand by the notion that every movie deserves a chance. The story is pretty basic Greek mythology stuff, which will hold your interest just enough between the many over the top and bloody action scenes. I still maintain that if you're not going to bother too much with character, plot or dialogue in an action film then you need to make the action scenes as over the top as possible to compensate, and that is indeed what is on display here. If a thought provoking drama is what you're after look elsewhere, but if you have a desire to see blood spilt in numerous different ways over and over and over again then, Immortals will suit you down to the bone.
*** out of *****

Jack and Jill

Ok, to explain how I ended up seeing this film. Me and my buddy Ben were trying to figure out what move to see. He wanted to see Moneyball, however as I'd already seen it I was less than enthusiastic, however would have been willing to see it again. Whilst going through the session times of possible movies we could see Jack and Jill came up. I said there was no Chance we were going to see that, however Ben then planted the idea in my mind that seeing it could provide for an amusing experience if we could enjoy lauging at how bad it was. I mulled the idea over in my head, and when we got to the cinema he let me decide; Moneyball or Jack and Jill. I think he was pretty angry with my decision....

If you're unfamiliar with Jack and Jill, it is Adam Sandler's new movie where he plays the normal Adam Sander character PLUS his own annoying twin sister. Yep, it's as bad as it sounds and much worse. Not only is there not one funny line in the entire film, but we have to sit through endless amounts of blatant product placement, celebrities embarrassing themselves by appearing in cameos, cheap last minute attempts at sentimentality, and, perhaps worst of all, the sad realisation that Al Pacino's career is now reduced to appearing as an insane version of himself in this bullocks.

I'm half convinced that Adam Sandler is just playing a big practical joke on everyone and doing a kind of parody of himself, because there mere notion that any human would find this film even mildly appealing is a massive insult to all mankind. I'm not even one of Adam Sander's many haters, and usually enjoy his movies, but this, UGH, what more can I say. It's puerile and certainly not worth wasting anymore time talking about.

No Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment