Tuesday 5 July 2011

Rental - Remember Me

Two things to mention upfront about this movie. First, this is an above average chick flick that any male person can watch with his significant other in the confidence that they're watching at least a semi well made movie with adequate performances. Second, I'm sure a lot of people will be instantly turned off by this movie just because it has Robert Pattinson in it. If you belong in that camp you are, quite frankly, a moron. Open your mind just a smidgen and realise he's not the worst actor in the universe just because he was in Twilight. His performance in this is just fine.

This film appears to be essentially a romantic drama, with Pattinson falling for some chick who's name I can't be bothered looking up right now. But it actually goes deeper than that, as both of them are dealing with grief, and I think the central theme on display here is how families relate to on another following tragic events. The performances are all quite fine, and the two main leads have some good chemistry, and I cared about the characters so the film has to be considered a success in that respect. However, the story didn't really draw me in the way I would have liked it to, and there are a few awkward scenes weighed down by slightly clunky dialogue.

This movie had another point of interest for me in that it was directed by Allen Coulter, who I know from directing a number of episodes of The Sopranos, one of the best TV shows ever. He's also directed episodes for a number of other TV shows, however I think this is only his second feature film. He's brought a sort of semi understated style to this film, which I'm familiar with from and enjoyed in The Sopranos, however here I felt it possibly worked against the movie a little bit, failing to draw me in as I said above. Without giving too much away the ending is very unexpected, and I'm still not sure if I like it.

You certainly won't waste your time watching this film and it's worth a rental, just don't expect anything mindblowingly amazing and you wont be disappointed.

*** out of *****

No comments:

Post a Comment