Wednesday 9 November 2011

First update in forever

Yep, haven't updated this in ages. So just to get the ball rolling I will post some very quick reviews of some (but not all) of the movies I've seen since the last update.

Red Dog

Australian family film about an outback mining town seen through the eyes of the communities dog. Yep, sounds like a dull premises, however the right mix of comedy, drama and character made this a feel good movie almost anyone could enjoy, even if the sentimental clap trap is laid on a bit thick. Apparently based on a true story, although I'm not sure how much of it is factual. Well worth checking out

**** out of *****

Snowtown

Another 2011 Australia movie based on a true story, this time about a series of serial killings that took place in South Australia in the 90s. A lack of character development and some pacing problems (lengthy periods of not much happening) prevent this from being the Animal Kingdom of 2011. However what the movie does well is creating the creepy, disturbing atmosphere appropriate for the subject matter and exploring lower class suburban life, and, to an extent, the attitudes that would lead someone to commit such horrendous acts.

***1/2 out of *****

The Change-Up

I had no intention of seeing this movie whatsoever, however on evening I found myself in the mood to go the movies and completely shut my brain off, and not really caring for the quality of the film at all, so subsequently found myself in The Change-Up. After the film finished I was reminded it sometimes pays to keep your expectations extremely low, as I was pleasantly surprised with this one. I mean, it wasn't great, the concept of two people swapping bodies has been done to death and the film's message of being happy with who you are and what you have was obvious and simple. But there were some good laughs to be had, and Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman are always good, so, yeah, I could imagine many worse ways to spend an evening.

*** out of *****

The Losers

Run of the mill action film based on some obscure comic book (obscure meaning I've never heard of it.) I watched this with a group of people who all enjoyed and I'm at a loss as to why, the characters weren't interesting, the storyline - very pedestrian, the action scenes - mediocre at best and the dialogue - painful. Despite all that there was still some fun to be had with The Losers, just not enough to make up for it's many flaws.

** out of *****

Kull The Conqueror

Late 90's action/fantasy starring Kevin Sorbo, presumably an attempt to cash in on the popularity of Kevin Sorbo's action/fantasy show Hercules (at least I think that show was popular.) The storyline is basically irrelevant, Kevin Sorbo swings an axe around a lot and kills stuff. Terrible.

1/2* out of *****

So that's that, and as part of my goal to overcome procrastination I will aim to make another post tomorrow with new movies. I'll see how I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment